If you hardly access your gun safe, chances are it has accumulated lots of moisture and dust. Should this worry you? Yes, it should because such conditions expose your guns to corrosion and rust, and reduces their effectiveness. To keep moisture at bay, you may want to use a gun safe dehumidifier that fits your budget and needs.
What should the humidity be in your gun safe?
Perhaps you didn’t even know that your gun safe can accumulate moisture and cause damage to your guns. Now that you know, probably you’re wondering what the ideal humidity in your gun safe should be.
Well, the humidity in your gun safe should range between 50 to 60% throughout the year. Some people suggest that using a desiccant and a golden rod in your safe can help regulate the moisture in the safe. This prevents moisture from liquefying on the guns and resulting in rust.
Do gun safes need dehumidifiers?
Yes, they do. Consider what you’ve kept inside the safe. Many times, you may want to keep your jewelry in the same safe. You understand that both guns and jewelry won’t thrive in humid conditions which is why regulating moisture in the safe comes in handy not only to prolong the jewelry and guns but also their safety. There are various factors which determine the safety of your gun safe as seen below.
The climate in Your Region
The climate in your area plays a major role in determining how humid your gun safe will be. For instance, if you live close to coastlines or in the tropical areas, you may want to purchase a dehumidifier right away if you don’t already have one. Such regions can experience high humidity levels and having a dehumidifier goes a long way in protecting your valuables.
Location of the Safe
Before establishing the ideal location for your safe, you need to know that lower parts of the home such as the basement are more humid. This means that if you choose the basement as the bearer of your safe, then you’ll need to invest in a good quality safe.
How Regularly do You Access it?
Do you access your gun safe regularly? If you don’t then you may want to purchase a dehumidifier immediately. This is because; regularly used gun safes are less likely to have moisture buildup as compared to hardly used ones because the former gets a sufficient amount of fresh air once the safe is opened.
Will Guns rust in a safe?
Yes. If you hardly open your gun safe, moisture and humidity will increase inside the safe and result in rusting of your valuables. Further, the above-mentioned factors will cause damage to your family and extensions.
What is the best gun safe dehumidifier?
With the numerous gun safe humidifiers in the market today, choosing the ideal one can be an arduous task. This is why we have compiled the following list of the best gun safe dehumidifier.
Lockdown Dehumidifier Rod
This dehumidifier rod is not only electronic, but it’s available in various sizes. This means that you can find one that fits your budget and needs. The Lockdown dehumidifier Rod distributes warm air across the safe, a process which keeps humidity and condensation at bay. What this means is that your safe will be free from mildew.
The good thing about this gadget is that it comes with mounting brackets which makes it easy for you to easily mount low in the safe. Its cord isn’t attached to the plug and this allows you to cut the wire to your desired length. If you live in a highly humid area, then this gadget is specially designed for you.
Advantages of the Lockdown Dehumidifier Rod
This gadget is specially designed to generate sufficient heat to ensure it’s dry
- It’s as effective as goldenrods. The good this with this gadget it’s reasonably priced
- You can easily keep it low on the floor of your safe to keep it out of the way
- You can install it with ease and you don’t need complex tools
- It can become too hot to touch. Don’t be shocked yet because it doesn’t get too hot to a point of causing a fire.
- The plug is probably the only thing that’s substandard in this gadget. Fortunately. You can purchase a better plug and have it replaced.
Goldenrod Original Safe Dehumidifier
The Goldenrod original safe dehumidifier is specially designed to cover up to 100 cubic feet. The gadget’s plug isn’t attached to the cord and this makes the hookup process easy. Assuming you’ve already drilled your safe, completing the setup will take you approximately ten minutes. This gadget maintains approximately 70 degrees in your safe. Unlike other dehumidifiers, this gadget doesn’t get extremely hot to touch. The company is committed to ensuring that their products serve you appropriately which is why they come with a lifetime guarantee.
- It doesn’t overheat
- It can bring down humidity up to 50%
- The gadget’s legs are not strong enough
- It’s not ideal for use in large spaces
Stack-On Spad-1500 Rechargeable Cordless Dehumidifier
The Stack-On Spad-1500 Rechargeable Cordless Dehumidifier is specially designed to absorb excess moisture from your security cabinet or safe with ease. It’s electronic and you don’t need to use batteries. It comes with a moisture indicator on the front side which alerts you when it’s time for recharging. The good thing about this dehumidifier is; it can work for up to 6 weeks without needing recharging. You’ll need to charge it throughout the night to ensure it’s fully charged.
- Doesn’t need wires which means drilling of holes in your safe isn’t necessary
- Doesn’t need batteries
- Comes with a moisture indicator which you can easily read
- You need to recharge it
- It may become excessively hot to touch after recharging and this can last up to thirty minutes
Browning Safes Everdry Electric Dehumidifier
The Browning Safes Everdry Electric Dehumidifier is specially designed for use in safes measuring up to thirty inches or even bigger. It measures eighteen inches long and comes with a detachable cord. Many people who have used this gadget opine that it operates like a Goldenrod even though it comes at a lower price.
Unlike many electric dehumidifiers which get extremely hot to touch, you can comfortably hold this gadget. Still, holding it can be an arduous task especially if you’re planning to do so for a prolonged period. When you purchase this product, you’re guaranteed a one year warranty from the manufacturer after registering the gadget on their website. Depending on where you purchase it, you may get more warranty
- Doesn’t get too hot to touch
- You can run it for five minutes and it’ll effectively regulate the moisture in your safe
- Holding it for prolonged periods can get uncomfortable
- You’ll need to dismantle the entire cord prior to installing the gadget rather than simply disconnecting the plug like is the case with various other brands
- Some buyers say that this gadget works well when used alongside a desiccant which can be an additional cost
Eva-Dry Mini Dehumidifier
The Eva-Dry Mini Dehumidifier is small and can comfortably fit in various gun safe sizes regardless of the model. This gadget operates without consuming electricity or even batteries. It’s specially designed to operate silently. One of the ideal things about this gadget is; tracking it is an easy task. It uses renewable silica beads to facilitate the absorption of moisture.
About the Silica Beads
Another interesting fact about this gadget is; the beads change color according to the amount of water they have held. The beads reach their maximum limit after two to approximately four weeks and when this happens, you will realize that they’ll become pink in color.
In this event, all you need is to take your gadget out and plug it in an outlet situated in an adequately ventilated area. Charge it for up to 10 hours and you’ll see that it becomes just as good as new. You can repeat this process for up to 10 years without purchasing another gadget.
- It runs quietly
- You can use it for a prolonged period of time
- Doesn’t require wires to operate
- It may not hold lots of water
- It requires constant monitoring which may not go down well with some homeowners
Dry-Packs Silica Gel Canister
The Dry Packs Silica Gel Canister is an easy to use and reasonably priced solution that helps you control humidity in your gun safe. While it comes in a compact size, it’s effective enough and can capture all the moisture that accumulates in large or small gun safes. One of the reasons why you should purchase this gadget is; it operates quietly.
Still, it relies on visual indicators to inform you when it requires reactivating. All you need to reactivate this gadget is adhere to the written instructions on the case. At some point, you’ll need to need to keep the gadget in your oven and allow it to heat for a few hours.
- It’s quite effective when it comes to eliminating moisture from your gun safe
- It comes with easy to follow instructions
- It’s easily rechargeable
- It comes with an aluminum case which can be delicate
- May not hold lots of water
Cannon Safe SG57 Gel Dehumidifier
The Cannon Safe SG57 Gel Dehumidifier is specially designed to prevent corrosion, rust, mildew, and damage. It can be used in areas stretching up to 57 cubic feet. While it may not be ideal for use in larger areas, it also has an inbuilt indicator which alerts you if the silica gel requires reactivation. Enjoy one year’s warranty when you purchase this gadget.
- It’s harmful even though it comes with silica gels
- You don’t need an electrical outlet or even batteries to reactivate the silica gel
- The manufacturer offers a one year warranty
- It’s not ideal for large spaces
- You’ll need to keep it in the oven to reactivate the silica gel. This restricts people who don’t have ovens from using it.
In order to keep moisture out of your gun safe, ensure to purchase the ideal product for your needs.