Last Updated on
Plasma wave technology safely breaks apart odors, allergens, chemical gases, viruses, germs, Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), chemical vapors and other pollutants at the molecular level. It does this, unlike ionizers, by using electricity to create positive and negative ions placing the air in plasma state striking the water vapor to break the molecular bond between hydrogen and oxygen atoms. These atoms combine to form hydroxyl ions which are unstable atoms.
How does it work?
Therefore, to attain stability they join with the neighboring atoms which are airborne pollutants destroying them. The hydroxyl radicals of plasma wave rearrange to form new structures that are harmless like water, carbon dioxide, and single oxygen or hydrogen which forms new hydroxyl ions. It’s the core of Winix air purifiers making it more popular and the best-selling air purifiers in the market.
It’s safe since there is no ozone emissions, thus, it won’t cause breathing problems. However, since it’s still an ionizer as complied by California Air Resources Board, it only has ozone emission concentration less than 0.05 parts per million. To ensure its safe, one should check with the California Certified Air Cleaning Devices or else read the air purifier reviews.
Advantages of plasma wave technology
- The natural air purification process
- Emits no ozone
- No annual filter replacements
Disadvantages plasma wave technology
- Electromagnetic interference from other electronics causing malfunction
- High power consumption.
Plasma wave winix
It’s a Winix iron air purifier that uses its proprietary ionizer to electromagnetically charge particles such as dust, pollen grains and other particles making it easier for filters to capture them thus removing the particles in medium-sized rooms. Examples of Winix air purifiers/cleaners include Winix 5300, Winix 5300-2, Winix 5500, Winix 5500-2, Winix 3500, Winix 6300, Winix 6300-2, Winix U300, Winix C535, and many others
Winix 5300-2 air purifier
It’s one of Winix air purifiers which are an improvement from Winix 5300-air purifier with the following remarkable features:
Four-stage filtration process:
It deals with large particles such as hair, dust and some pet pander. It doesn’t have to be replaced. It only requires cleaning with a soft brush once or about every two weeks, though regular cleaning can extend the life of other filters.
·Activated Carbon filter
It eliminates odors like smoke. The main feature that makes it different from other filters is the presence of a clean cap which prevents molds and bacteria from growing inside ensuring the filter lasts longer. It should be replaced once every 3-6 months.
·Winix 5300-2 True HEPA air filters
It captures 99.97% of all harmful particles, such as dust mites, pet dander, pollen and mold spores. Due to its frequent use, it needs to be replaced about once every 12 months.
·Plasma wave Technology filter
Essentially, it’s an ionizer but it’s superior since it produces both positive and negative ions that create plasma clusters to eliminate viruses, chemical vapors, bacteria and all kind of smell. This filter is permanent and doesn’t require any replacement.
Testing the actual performance of Winix 5300-2, we put it in a 200 square feet room for one hour with its challengers (Honeywell 50250 and Honeywell Air Genius 4). The result was 99.92%for Winix 5300-2, Honeywell 99.93% of trapping any pollutants as small as 0.3 microns. The Air Genius 4 had the least with an efficiency of 92%.
Three different sensors
- Sleep mode- when light goes off, the unit automatically adjusts the fan to the quietest setting and dims control panel lights
- Air quality Sensor– If it’s set on auto mode, this sensor detects low air quality and alerts you via a LED indicator, and automatically adjusts the speed of the fan to improve air circulation.
- Filter replacement Indicator –this only works for true HEPA filter when it gets worn out, for the carbon filter you get to replace it on your own.
It has little or no noise since the fan has four speeds. The one with the least speed produces less noise that is barely noticeable. Winix air purifiers are known to be low noise level purifiers even with a much powerful fan, this company improves the fan to reduce noise levels as possible.
Its energy consumption rate is:
- Speed 1-14 watts
- Speed 2-34 watts
- Speed 3-70 watts
- Speed 4-128 watts
This proves that it consumes less energy, therefore, saving on electricity bills.
Design and size
Since there has been the same design of four continuous Winix models; Winix 5500-2, Winix c535, Winix C55 and Winix 6300-2, this could be monotonous. There has been a change of winix 5300-2 from its predecessor Winix 5300 model.
It has a small base and a plastic casing similar to the predecessor though it eliminates the two gaps on both sides making it slimmer and lighter. It comes with a new company logo eradicating the ancient Winix logo which the company uses up to date. The air intake grill also resembles the predecessor though this time it’s aligned to the center.
It has a moderate height of 23.6 inches and weight of 15.4Ibs making it easily portable
Its control panel is located slightly at the top, unlike the predecessor which was at the bottom where one had to kneel to reach them, making it easier to use them.
Its coverage is 360 square feet. The Air Changes per Hour (ACH) –indicates the number of times per hour an air purifier exchanges the air within the room. For Winix 5300-2 is 4x. It will exchange the air in the room every 15 minutes.
CADR- Clean Air Delivery Rate – shows how much of specific particles can be removed from the air and indicates how fast a purifier can clean the air within a particular room size. It’s measured in cubic feet per minute or cubic meters per hour. It’s usually for pollen, smoke, and dust. They were invented by AHAM Association (Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers) therefore their CADR ratings are the most accurate. The better the CADR ratings, the more powerful the fan is and the bigger the coverage. The CADR of WI nix 5300-2 is 243Dust / 232 Smoke / 246 Pollen (cmf) which is better than the previous 5300 model expecting it to clean the room much faster.
Pros of winix 5300-2 air purifiers/cleaner
- Unlike ionizers where after coagulating the small particles into bigger particles could penetrate back making the air unclean again, its three-filtration system makes it efficient for particle filtration
- Excellent odor removing capabilities
- Sleep mode makes it ideal for a bedroom
- Auto mode helps monitors the air quality thus maintaining fresh and clean indoor air
- Filter change indicator removes the guesswork from filter maintenance
- Cleans the room up to 360 square feet
- It continues to trend with a reasonable price point despite its lack of remote control and in spite of its replacement for the older 5300 Model.
Cons of winix 5300-2 air purifiers/cleaner
- Frequent filter replacement
- High filter replacement cost
- Some claim that Plasma wave irritate asthma
- Absence of a remote system
- Can’t be placed against the wall
Safety precautions when handling Winix 5300-2 air purifiers/cleaner
- Follow the instructions on the manual to reduce the risk of electric shock, shock circuit, and fire.
- Hold the handle on the back of the unit to transport.
- Don’t wash or reuse the True HEPA or carbon filter.
- Periodically, remove dust from the power plug. This will reduce the risk of shock due to humidity build-up.
- Use AC120V only.
- Don’t repair or modify the unit unless specifically recommended in the manual. All other repairs should be executed by qualified personnel.
- Don’t block the intake or outlet vents
- Don’t use near hot objects.
- Keep it away from products that generate oily residue such as a deep fryer.
- Don’t use detergents to clean the unit.
Customer Service- Since 1973, the Winix company has been manufacturing air purifiers and cleaners in Korea, U.S, and Europe and they have many headquarters, therefore, it’s simple to reach them via phone or email from 9 to 5 Monday to Friday or email:email@example.com