Nine out of ten customers prefer buying products that lack recurrent expenses. That’s why you’ll come across air purifiers with reusable filters in the market. It’s quite costly to keep on buying new filters every now and then during summer. Plus, asthma medication is expensive when you don’t have health insurance coverage.
Bookmark this post on your web browser so that you can remember the brand you want when shopping for a purifier.
Top air purifiers with washable filters reviewed
1. “Winner” Envion Therapure TPP240 Air Purifier(4.1 / 5)
This futuristic-looking purifier stands at 26.1 inches tall. It weighs just 10 pounds making it highly portable. Tall air purifiers are ideal for large bedrooms or living rooms because they have a greater air intake. Their large size comes with larger HEPA sets and ion generators.
- The menu is really easy to use.
- It has a sleek semi-circle touch screen panel where you’ll find the controls.
- Under it is a filter indicator light to notify you when it’s time to clean your HEPA set. This light turns orange to indicate that your filters are almost full of dirt. When you see it turning to red, then it’s time to vacuum your HEPA set.
- Envion Therapure TPP240 also has an ion generator and utilizes UV technology to eliminate mold spores and bacteria. It’s a must-have for pet owners because dog and cats pick up a lot of germs when exploring the outdoors. That means there are bacteria all over your carpet, couch, and tables.
- You’ll also like the power-saving features that enable it to deliver 99.97% purity all day long. This purifier has different switches for its ion generator and UV light. You don’t need to activate your ion generator or UV to get rid of pollen grains.
To get the best results from this unit, place it in spaces less than 500 square feet. Doing this enables it to accomplish at least four cycles of air every hour. Avoid placing it near your window since dirt accumulates faster in the HEPA set.
- It performs relatively silent when you set the fan speed at either 1 or 2.
- Installing your new unit takes less than five minutes since the filter sets and mesh are detachable. This design makes it easy for you to clean.
- In order to save energy, this model has four fan speeds. When a smoker lights a cigarette, you can get rid of the smell by switching to speed 4. Lower speeds are ideal for normal breathing air. Plus, you won’t mind the humming noise in the background.
- Detaching the front grill gives you access to the washable carbon filter. How does one tell when it’s dirty? An indicator light on the menu goes on and remains this way until you clean your carbon filter. A vacuum cleaner is all you need to suck out the particles.
The WINIX 5500-2 Plasmawave edition is better equipped to eliminate bacteria and odors using a special patented technology. Plasmawave is a sophisticated technology that splits odors and chemical traces down to molecules for total elimination. It also renders airborne bacteria inert.
- You can use your smartphone as a remote control to set schedules complete with different fans speeds for each day. This app also shows the current particulate matter in your bedroom or living room. That way, you can tell whether someone was smoking indoors by checking a rise in particulate matter during certain periods.
- Small Size: It’s almost the same height and width as a suitcase. Below is a thick four-inch stand that enhances its stability as it draws in air. You can carry it around because it weighs just 4.8 pounds. You might need to place it on top of a table to prevent toddlers and pets from tampering with your settings.
- This Nectar purifier uses a patented technology that out shadows ion generators. Behind your HEPA set is a special electrostatic filter that traps bacteria and dust particles. Recent medical research shows that some harmful bacteria are as tiny as 2 microns. The electrostatic generator uses negative ions to identify and eliminate toxic elements in your living space.
You’ll need clean water, a brush, and dishwashing liquid to clean your pre-filter mesh. It typically takes a minute however it depends on your environment and cleaning routine. A vacuum cleaner is all you need to keep your HEPA set clean. How often should you clean your unit? At least once a month.
You’ll enjoy longer reading hours because an air purifier increases the oxygen supply in your den making your brain more alert. You won’t feel distracted while reading thanks to its QuietClean technology.
Honeywell’s manufacturers chose a tower design for two reasons.
- Its height makes it hard for pets to walk all over the menu panel and change your settings. The same applies to toddlers crawling around.
- The tower design allows a higher intake of air compared to purifiers that draw air from below.
This purifier is easy to operate. On the menu panel, you’ll see three buttons that activate different time intervals. Here, you can switch settings from low, medium, and high. The highest setting is suitable for neutralizing tobacco smoke. Keep a dry cotton cloth nearby to wipe your menu panel clean.
How do you clean its filters? There’s a button just above the menu panel that releases a lock. Pull it out then loosen your activated carbon pre-filter. You’ll need a vacuum cleaner to get the job done.
The main pre-filter covers are either blue or grey but you can get over 15 exciting colors on BluePure’s website. You can get a red one for Valentine Day and a skull theme for Halloween. They’re really affordable and easy to clean. Just toss the pre-filter cover inside your washing machine to get rid of particles.
The BluePure 411 works best in spaces ranging from 100-175 square feet. It’s approximately the same size as a five-gallon bucket and very light in weight. How does it work? By drawing in air from all directions using four fans. Air gets pushed through the pre-filter fabric then heads to a set of activated carbon and HEPA filters. Purified air gets released through the top outlets and the process continues.
Perhaps the only thing you won’t like about this compact air purifier is that you’ll have to buy a new set of activated carbon filters every six months. The LED light at the top turns red when it’s time for a replacement. The good news is that you won’t spend more than $70 annually.
It works best in rooms ranging from 150-220 square feet. The tower design enables it to supply fresh purified air at a 360 angle. You won’t struggle to find the best spot for air supply because it’s already optimized for small rooms.
The programming intervals start from two hours all the way to twelve. It also has five fan speeds labeled as purification levels ranging from Germs to Smoke. You might find it hard to answer phone calls when the AirGenius5 is set to Allergen or Smoke levels due to noise from the fan.
You’ll find an optional odor filter inside the box of your new Honeywell AirGenius 5. The filtration system mainly consists of a washable carbon-like foam pre-filter and a plastic Honeycomb set. You’ll need a vacuum cleaner for the foam pre-filter.
To clean your honeycomb, dip it in a bucket filled with a soapy solution of dishwashing liquid. Use a showerhead to rinse it and put it in the sun to dry. You need it to let it dry completely to avoid mold from growing in-between spaces.
If you’re looking for a really affordable and quiet air purifier that costs below $100, the Honeywell HFD 010 QuietClean matches your needs perfectly. It’s ideal for small bedrooms that range from 150-170 square feet and has a low power consumption rate. You can easily carry it in your gym bag because it’s just a foot tall and has a similar width to a basketball.
When you look at it, you immediately notice its basic controls that you can operate even in the dark. There’s a wheel with three labels; Off, 1, 2, and 3. These numbers indicate fan speed. Above the wheel is a button for releasing your filters.
Push the button then grab the groove above to pull out your filters arranged in a vertical bar. A latch releases your black pre-filter mesh for washing. You can use a vacuum cleaner or dip it inside clean water and let it dry.
How do you clean the HEPA filters? Dip the set inside a soapy solution then rinse it with cold water. Let it sit in the sun for three to four hours to let it dry completely.
What are Truman cells? They are special metal plates that use electrostatic energy to trap and kill airborne allergens and bacteria. They’re considered more effective than HEPA filters because they trap particles that are 1 micron and don’t require replacements.
This unit is quite slim and blends in so good with your background that you almost forget its presence. It draws in air from the back using powerful fans and sends it to its three-stage filtration system. The pre-filter mesh absorbs large particles such as dandelions and pet fur. Next, air goes through the Truman cells, then the activated carbon filter to absorb bad odors.
Washing the Truman Cells is easy. Unplug the set from your ORECK then place it inside a dry sink. Spray some dishwashing soap inside the cells and open the faucet. The Truman should sink and allow it to soak for about three to five minutes. Use cold running water for rinsing then set it out in a warm dry place for a couple of hours.
2. Tips to help you get the best results with these air purifiers
The Best Air Purifiers:
1. Ban indoor smoking
Constant smoke from burning tobacco increase the particulate matter in your home and this leads to more washing. Don’t allow anyone to smoke indoors.
2. Keep your home clean
Always vacuum your carpet and floors to minimize the number of bacteria and dirt flowing in the air around you.
3. Always close your windows when running the air filter
Air filters work best when all doors and windows are closed. Doing this prevents further contamination of air inside your living spaces.
4. Avoid using wood fires inside your home
Wood emits a lot of smoke when burning and this increases the particulate matter in your living room. This habit causes one to spend more on filter replacements.
3. Be smart!
Air purifiers with washable filters are ideal for college students because they have very low annual maintenance costs. Plus, they’re built for either bedrooms or small living rooms and this makes them energy efficient and highly portable.
It’s highly advisable to buy a new unit because you get the best results with brand new components. Clean your unit at least once a month or after every two weeks if you’re dealing with lung illnesses.
Do you need professional help on how to purchase any of the eight units discussed in this post? Feel free to make a phone call or send us an email today!